Friday, April 27, 2012

McDonald's: Friend to Black People

I don't usually write online about racial issues (for various reasons), but this just strikes me as obviously... insulting? Laughable? Ignorant?

A McDonald's website, www.365black.com, is inspired by the idea that "African-American culture and achievement should be celebrated 365 days a year — not just during Black History Month."

Ok, I don't think anyone would disagree with that statement. But then...

"Like the unique African Baobab tree, which nourishes its community with its leaves and fruit, McDonald's has branched out to the African-American community nourishing it with valuable programs and opportunities."

Huh? 

Something about that statement just rubs me the wrong way. Maybe because McDonald's isn't exactly a paragon of corporate virtue. ("Nourishes its community"?) Add the cheesy phrasing and imagery targeted to the "African-American community" and I am left with a bad taste in my mouth. Not unlike a Big Mac... if I ate that crap.

No comments:

Post a Comment